Saturday 30 August 2014

Cake #7 - Puss Roll


Cats, cats, cats..! On Thursdays during my 365 Cakes / 365 Days challenge I will bake cat-themed cakes. It is not the meaning that the cakes necessarily look like cats as long as they can easily be associated with cats - my cats, famous cats or cats in general - felidae and felis domesticus

For my first Thursday cat cake I wanted to make a 'curly-haired copper cat' by experimenting with caramelised sugar. Sometimes a homebaker like me may be busy with other things simultaneously - like getting everything ready for the kids who would be going back to school after the summer holidays the following morning. So I was still up at 1 am trying to finish the cake while checking that the kids' schoolbags were in order. Burning Caramelising sugar in the middle of the night may not be the smartest idea but I did manage to do it great. Or at least fine. Or satisfacto...really. No curls,  but pretty and sharp copper-coloured 'sticks' for the cat's hair and a larger piece of 'lava' for the perfect tail! But the curls will come one day, I promise, and I am dedicated, too, as I am now watching some videos and eventually learning how. Stay tuned!

Puss Roll Swiss Roll

4 eggs
2 dl / 3/4 cup sugar
1,5 dl / ½ cup plain flour
2 tbsp potato or corn flour
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 225C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until white and airy.
3. Mix flours, cocoa and baking powder and add to the egg-sugar mix.
4. Spoon evenly on the baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool.

Filling
1,5 dl / ½ cup Nutella
3 dl / 1 1/4 cups whipped cream 

Topping
5 dl / 2 cups whipped cream with a drop of yellow food colouring
5 dl / 2 cups sugar, caramelised on a pan on low heat until brown and sticky


After the base has cooled, cut the edges to make the sides even.

After spreading Nutella and whipped cream, make a tight roll.

Take spoonfuls of the caramelised sugar very slowly from the pan to create 'yarn' or 'sticks' and a solid larger spoonful for the tail.

I also made the cat's eyes, nose and mouth of the sugar when it was not too sticky yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment