Wednesday 26 November 2014

Cake #86 - Courgette and Serrano Ham Cake


Savoury Saturday Cake - Courgette and Serrano Ham Cake, Served with Poached Egg.

I baked this cake only because I had just learned how to make a perfect poached egg and I needed a cake to go with one so  I could show you my new skill. It would have been a bit awkward to upload a picture of a single poached egg, wouldn't it? This is a cake challenge in a baking blog, after all.

By the way, the cake was very good! Even without the egg it would have been. It would not have looked that good, though, as the bright and nicely runny yolk made it more appealing. - Agree? I knew you would.


Courgette and Serrano Ham Cake

225 g grated courgette
½ tsp salt
300 ml plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
150 g cream cheese
100 ml rapeseed oil
80 g serrano ham, chopped
2 tsp dried herbs, I used parsley and basil

1. Grease and flour a Ø 20 cm springform  pan and preheat the oven to 175 C / 375 F.
2. Mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
2. Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and olive oil together in a jug.
3. Pour the liquid onto the dry ingredients and fold in.
4. Add the serrano ham and herbs together with the grated courgette.
6. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
7. Serve warm with poached eggs and serrano ham slices.


No comments:

Post a Comment