Sunday 7 September 2014

Cake #15 - Irish Deluxe Sandwich Cake


Friends First Friday Cake - Irish Deluxe Smörgåstårta Sandwich Cake.

My second Friends First Friday Cake I dedicated to a chicken the story of which made the whole family laugh one day the past week. Several times did we laugh cordially. And several times did we also say that was one of those 'only in Ireland' -things and laughed even more cordially...

Because only in Ireland would you walk through a busy village past a big shopping centre and a jammed roundabout and right there, in somebody's yard see a chicken. 

My son had been on his way from school to the bus stop when he had got that awkward feeling that somebody was staring at him. He had looked around and seen a chicken right there, only a few metres away from the busy road, eyes wide open, a fierce look on her face, staring at him. My son had started staring back and finally won the battle as the chicken had loudly said buk buk buk and disappeared behind the house. Surrealistic indeed. 

And only in Ireland would you fill your sandwich with crisps. First times I saw people having crisp sandwiches for lunch I thought it was soo strange. (I do still think serving chips with lasagne is strange.. or do I?) Then I started making crisp sandwiches myself. It has become my guilty pleasure maybe every second Friday for lunch to take two pieces of the whitiest toast I can find in the house, spread lots of butter on them and then empty a bag of salt and vinegar crisps between the two slices. Oh, so good...

My children get crisps on Fridays after school. This Friday they got a crisp sandwich cake with a bit of deluxe instead. - For the chicken! For Friday! For Ireland!

Besides the toast and regular crisps (cheese&onion and salt&vinegar) I had two bags of colourful vegetable crisps to make the cake more 'deluxe'.
I toasted the bread, removed the crust and cut the slices into triangles. Then I spread butter on each triangle and put crisps between two triangles.
I placed the triangles on a plate to form a chicken and then covered the sandwich cake with potato crisps and vegetable crisps. There are cocktail sticks holding together each sandwich and there is an olive as the chicken's eye. More olives were served as side.

No comments:

Post a Comment