Monday 22 September 2014

Cake #30 - Tomato and Mozzarella Cake


Savoury Saturday Cake - Tomato and Mozzarella Cake.

After spending half of the day outdoors I wanted to bake something quick. Simon Cowell was calling my name from the digibox and I also needed to make room in the kitchen for The Husband who was about to cook some ragu and spaghetti for Saturday dinner. It sounded like Italian to me so I immediately thought about turning the little Mozzarella balls I had in the fridge into a cake to go with the dinner. 

I admit, Mozzarella, tomatoes and basil are a very safe combination but when the time is limited you do want to play it safe. So safe that this cake does not come with a story at all as the story would be something as dull as I wrote above. And it does not come with a recipe of my own, either, but with a link to one.


The recipe for this savoury cake is from Nigella's website. Quick and simple! Moist and gooey! I did not use any bacon, though, and I used grated Mozzarella instead of Cheddar. I baked the cake in a large Ø 30 cm springform pan and for that I multiplied all ingredients by 1.5.  And I roasted about 50 g of pine nuts to go with the cake. 

I just love pine nuts and especially the smell of them roasting! I love to see them roasting slowly and I love breathing the smell. If there had not been The Husband  reminding me he would want me off the kitchen soon I would have just ignored Simon and continued sniffing my roasted pine nuts...



No comments:

Post a Comment