Wednesday 24 September 2014

Cake #32 - Banana Mocha Cake


Monday Mood Cake - "Tired", Banana Mocha Cake for caffeine and energy boost.

It is not a cliche or an urban myth that Monday mornings always come too soon and in an inhuman way, too! They need to be stopped!

On Saturdays my inner clock usually wakes me up early and eagerly as, although there is usually a lot to do, there are no fixed schedules. Then, towards the end of the day, when my to-do list is not that long any more, I let myself finally relax. Usually that is amazingly just in time to start watching the X Factor, around 8 p.m., and around that time The Husband usually starts cooking Saturday dinner so I need to be off the kitchen anyway.

On Saturdays I even may go to bed earlier than during the week and then let myself sleep in on Sunday mornings. Heavenly! And if I am lucky, I may be able to have a nap on Sunday afternoon, too. Luxury! 

So by Sunday evening I have let myself unwind and that is the reason why the early and busy Monday morning feels so unfair. I would love to have one more day to enjoy the energy saved, to actually do things 100%, with no lack of sleep. Four Monday bank holidays a year is way too few. Four a month would be grand! Sigh. 

While waiting for that to happen, I just need to stick to latte and cake. 

Banana Mocha Cake

3 bananas
100 g butter
200 ml strong coffee
2 eggs
200 ml caster sugar
500 ml plain flour
50 ml cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger

1. Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F and grease and flour a 2 l loaf pan (or bundt cake pan).
2. Mash bananas.
3. Melt butter and mix it with coffee, or let it melt in hot coffee.
4. Beat eggs and sugar until white and fluffy.
5. Mix all dry ingredients, and together with coffee, butter and banana, fold into the egg-sugar mix.
6. Pour into cake pan and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
7. Let cool before icing the cake.

Icing

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp strong coffee
2 tbsp cocoa powder
200 ml icing sugar

Melt butter and mix all ingredients together. Spread evenly on cake. Decorate with sprinkles or chocolate coffee beans if you like.

Eat a slice or two and freeze the rest for the Mondays to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment