Thursday 11 September 2014

Cake #19 - Le Hamburger


Tuesday Humour Cake - Le Hamburger.


- I would like to bake a hamburger. 
- No, you don't bake hamburgers. You go to Burger King.
- I would like to bake a hamburger. For dessert.
- No, you don't bake hamburgers for dessert. Unless... unless it's a...?
- Cake, yes. I would like to bake a hamburger cake. For dessert.

So I did. No new idea but a fun cake to make! - And now I am playing with the idea of inviting friends over and making several small hamburger cakes and not saying anything that they actually are not savoury ones. I could bake sweet buns and even garnish them with sesame seeds to make them look more real... Watch out!

Le Hamburger

Sponge
150 g soft butter
150 g granulated sugar
3 eggs
150 g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cream or milk

1. Heat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 F) and grease and flour a Ø 15 cm round cake pan.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Cream together butter and sugar.
4. Add eggs and mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients and cream or milk.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan. 
7. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until solid in the middle.
8. Let cool completely on a rack.

Garnishing
Milk chocolate to make the 'burger'
White chocolate to cover the bun
Chopped nuts to be sprinkled on top of the bun
Yellow fondant icing as cheese
Green fondant icing as lettuce
Raspberry (or other red) jam as ketchup
Whipped cream with a drop of yellow/brownish food colour as hamburger sauce / mayonnaise
Apple slices, pineapple slices... 

The garnishings can be made of nearly of whatever (sweet) you have in your fridge or food cupboard. Just use your imagination!

I cut the sponge in three layers. The middle one was to become the burger so I cut off the crust. The top layer  I brushed with white chocolate and sprinkled with chopped nuts.

The burger I brushed with melted milk chocolate and it does look quite meaty!!

I had a chunk of yellow fondant icing and using a cheese plane I got thin slices of it as the cheese for the hamburger.

On the bottom layer I first spread raspberry jam as ketchup. The on top of the burger I put the 'cheese' and whipped cream and then  in-between stuck some slices of green icing as lettuce and slices of apple. There are also slices of canned pineapple inside the hamburger.
Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment