Friday 19 September 2014

Cake #28 - Black Cat


Thursday Cat Theme Cake - Black Cat.

Volevo un gatto nero [I wanted a black cat] is originally an Italian childrens' tango and, sung in Finnish, it was one of my favourite songs when I was a child. The first Finnish recorded version is from 1971 so nearly my age. As I believe there are no English recordings of the song let me share a more recent Finnish one with you. Goes well as baking music, too - how about a little tango with your spatula?




For me, black cats do not represent anything superstitious. Nor do I believe in any myths related to baking. So, on this rainy day I bake a black cat cake. If it fails, it is me and myself to blame. If it turns out great, I may give myself a little reward like get a kitten praise.

Black Cat Cake

Sponge
4 eggs
200 ml sugar
150 ml plain flour
2 tbsp potato or corn flour
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

Filling
200 g cream cheese
50 ml sugar
100 g black cherry jam 

Icing
300 g icing sugar
28 ml bottle of black food colouring
(water)

1. Preheat oven to 225C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until white and airy.
3. Mix flours, cocoa and baking powder and add to the egg-sugar mix.
4. Spoon evenly on the baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool.
5. When the base is cool cut it carefully into cat shapes - as many as you can get (depends on the shape of the cat and the size of the tray).
6. Mix together cream cheese and sugar.
7. Spread a layer of jam and then a layer of cream cheese on each cat when compiling the cake.
8. See that the cats are placed evenly on top of each other and press firmly on each side.
9. Mix the icing and spread on top. Let set before serving.

PS If you happen to have any kittens I would love to have one. Any colour.



No comments:

Post a Comment