Tuesday 30 September 2014

Cake #36 - Party Cakes



Friends First Friday Cake - Party Cakes!

For my wonderfully crazy daughter and her wonderfully crazy friends.

My younger daughter who turned 12 years a couple of weeks ago wanted to have a birthday party after all. Happy Mommy! At first she just said coffee at Starbucks with a few friends would be enough at her age. I am so happy she changed her mind. Proper party with a bouncy castle, fourteen guests and gorgeous weather! What could anybody ask for more.  More sleep for me, yes, as I was baking the cakes until 2 a.m. but, hey, YOLO! [LOL]

I baked 20 little sponges just to make sure we would have enough. Only one cake fell onto the floor by one of the guests when she was decorating it and the rest of the cakes we decorated and ate ourselves later on. 

My recipe was a very basic one: per cake 3 eggs and 150 ml sugar beaten and then 150 ml plain flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder added to the foam. I had four pans of Ø 15cm in use as four pans I was able to fit in the oven at the same time. That phase was quite boring, to be honest. Especially after midnight.



To fill and decorate the cakes we had raspberry jam, strawberry jam, home-made caramel sauce, home-made vanilla creme, whipped cream, plain buttercream icing, buttercream icing coloured blue, buttercream icing coloured purple, red and yellow icing in piping bottles, fresh blueberries, fresh mint leaves, M&M's, sprinkles and mini marshmallows. 

I had three girls at a time decorating their cakes. I just showed what we had and what the ingredients could be used for and then let them design and implement their designs.

And they all did a great job! No messing around but serious business with a smile on each and everyone's face. Creativity. Inspiration. Yes, perspiration, too. Fulfillment. Joy. Laughter. Fun!! YOLO!

Do try this at home!

The total for all ingredients was about 3€/cake which I think is very reasonable. Instead of a goodie bag you take home a cake you have made yourself and can be proud of.









A few of the girls said they had never decorated a cake in their lives and a few said they are never allowed to cook or bake at home. What? Seriously?

I do not mind busy moms serving beans and toast for dinner. And I kind of understand how busy moms buy cupcakes from the shop to take to the school bake sale. But I do not understand if they never-ever let their child cook, bake or decorate a cake at home. Even once. Please! 

1 comment:

  1. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. wedding cakes in orange county

    ReplyDelete