Wednesday 10 December 2014

Cake #100 - Sandwich Cake


Savoury Saturday Cake - Scandinavian Style Sandwich Cake with Smoked Salmon and Prawns.

Cake #100. Already. How time flies when you enjoy what you do.

I have never had a project plan for any of my 365 Cakes / 365 Days cakes. Thoughts and ideas, yes, but each and every cake have developed in my head usually during the very day I have made them. Sometimes it has been an ingredient I have based my choice of cake on, sometimes it has been a more or less brilliant idea or inspiration - or just pure perspiration. 

And I am letting the fun continue like this. During this cold season I do not even expect much perspiration.

***

A sandwich cake is a very Finnish (or Scandinavian) thing. At least it used to be. No party is / used to be a good party without a pompous sandwich cake - whether it is a fishy one or a meaty one.

Making a sandwich cake is not really baking (unless you bake the bread yourself) so unfortunately I do not have a recipe for this as such. I just compiled the cake of slices of toast (both white and brown, crust removed), spread cream cheese mixed with chopped pickled cucumber and smoked salmon on the bread, piled the slices into the shape of a cake, and then topped it with cream cheese. After all, it is mainly about the decorations which on this cake were smoked salmon, prawns, cherry tomatoes and fresh dill. I could have used ham instead of salmon and prawns. I could have used olives and liver pate in the filling. It is important, though, that the filling is at least a little moist.

What comes to a sandwich cake, all choices are yours. Just do not think it is complicated - it is like making your favourite sandwich triple-sized and decorating it festively.

No comments:

Post a Comment