Sunday 5 October 2014

Cake #41 - Strawberry Raw Cake


Wednesday Natural Ingredient / Healthy Cake - Strawberry Raw Cake.

I  have recently seen [in Facebook, that is] a lot of pictures of various raw cakes my friends have enjoyed around the world. The cakes have looked good and interesting and finally I decided to see and test what a raw cake is all about.

Gluten-free. Dairy-free. Mainly vegan (I had never thought that honey is not vegan, to be honest). Nuts. Berries. Coconut Oil. Quite rich with calories but definitely healthy and made of uncooked natural ingredients.

I read through dozens of recipes and because none of them quite matched with what I had in mind nor what ingredients I had in the cupboard, I decided to create my own - a simplified raw cake, kind of. It did turn out great - fresh, smooth and very tasty! And now I am eager to try more raw cakes! Raw carrot cake sounds delicious, doesn't it?

Strawberry Raw Cake

Base
150 g cashew nuts
150 g raisins
3 tbsp coconut oil

Filling
250 g fresh (ripe and sweet!) strawberries
200 g ground almonds
100 ml coconut oil
4 tbsp honey

1. For the base, put all ingredients in a blender and mix until the raisins and nuts are broken into very small pieces (the mixture does not need to be smooth). 
2. Spread the filling into a springform pan with the base lined with baking parchment.
3. Put in the freezer while making the filling.
4. For the filling, put all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. 
5. Pour on top of the base and put the cake in the freezer for about an hour to set. It is not meant to freeze.
6. Decorate with fresh strawberries and mint leaves and refrigerate any leftovers immediately as the cake will quickly loose its firm consistency in room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment