Friday 31 October 2014

Cake #68 - Pumpkin


Tuesday Humour Cake - Pumpkin.

I know. This cake is not funny at all. It is just a pumpkin-shaped cake. Made for Halloween. It does not even have a funny face, nor a surprise candle inside.

So, to make it funny, I need to tell you an inside story as the real humour with this cake is certainly not the pumpkin shape. Not even close. It is the cinnamon stick! 

One time last year I cooked tagine for dinner. I was taking pictures of my plate and to make my portion look better, I placed a cinnamon stick on top (there were a few cinnamon sticks in the tagine to give taste). The Husband strongly disagreed and said I should not have a cinnamon stick on my plate simply because it is not edible and it does not make sense  - or whatever his arguments exactly were. But it was a serious situation and a serious dispute, seriously.

Anyway, our younger daughter found our dispute so entertaining that she has ever since suggested placing a cinnamon stick just about on any dish or cake needing some decorating or garnishing. Whenever I am wondering about some cake, she tells me to 'just stick a cinnamon stick there'. Whenever The Husband is cooking and looking for spices from the cupboard, she tells him to season the dish with a cinnamon stick. And this has been going on at least a year now. 

Cinnamon stick, we count on you!

Sponges (you need to make two of these)
3 eggs
150 ml granulated sugar
50 g butter, melted
200 ml plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
50 ml fresh cream


1. Preheat oven to 175C / 350 F and grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until white and fluffy.
3. Fold in flour together with melted butter and cream.
4. Pour into pan and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
5. Let the cake cool a little before removing from pan.


When you have both cakes ready, glue them together so that they make a pumpkin. I cut each cake into two layers and filled them with a mix of raspberry jam and cream cheese. The first layer of icing is a mixture of melted white chocolate and butter - for this cake I used 300 g white chocolate and 100 g butter. The second layer of icing is a mixture of icing sugar, red and yellow food colouring and some water. And finally, I covered the hole in the middle with a digestive cookie, piped melted milk chocolate on it and also piped some stripes around the pumpkin and stuck a Cinnamon Stick in the middle.


No comments:

Post a Comment