Wednesday 8 October 2014

Cake #44 - Pumpkin Cake


Savoury Saturday Cake - Pumpkin Cake.

I know some parents always eat leftovers from their kids' plates, and all parents do that sometimes. But how often would parents bake a cake using leftovers from something their children have used but not needed it all...? And no, I am not talking about leftover food on a plate. [Did you just say 'phew'?]

In this case I used leftovers from my daughter's cupcake filling to bake a savoury cake. Earlier that day she had baked pumpkin cupcakes and there was still some pureed pumpkin and roasted pumpkin seeds on the kitchen counter. Just enough to bake a pumpkin cake. 

My cake did not turn out even nearly as pretty as these gorgeous cupcakes my daughter made but the taste was good. I think on Sunday when I was reading The Sunday Times and the magazine pile which come with the Sunday edition, I might have eaten.. four slices, maybe. And a couple of cupcakes, too. Sunday munch instead of Sunday brunch.


Pumpkin Cake

400 g pureed pumpkin
4 eggs
200 ml vegetable oil
200 ml water
3 tbsp dark syrup
800 ml plain flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt

roasted pumpkin seeds

1. Preheat oven to 175 C. Grease and flour a 1 kg loaf pan.
2. Combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, water and syrup until well blended.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
5. Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle roasted pumpkin seeds on top.
5. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy warm with butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment