Tuesday 28 October 2014

Cake #64 - Milk Chocolate Cake


Friends First Friday Cake - Milk Chocolate Cake with Milk Chocolate Fingers.

For all hardworking milkmen.

Nearly a year ago somebody rang our doorbell and asked if we would be interested in having our milk delivered to our door by a Milkman three times a week. I asked for an offer and got one which was very good so I said that we could at least see how it works out. This Milkman, that is.

Milkman? 

I could not help having a vision of a chubby old man with a shaky trailer attached to his bicycle coming and leaving a bunch of glass bottles at the door - soon followed by a cat who would knock down one of the bottles and vigorously lick all milk spilled on the ground.

No, no, no. 

Our milkman is a young fella with a car and the milk comes in exactly the same cartons we would buy in the shops. Not only brings he us 5 litres of milk three very early mornings a week but also 2½ dozen free range eggs every Friday. And it really works well.

Every two weeks or so he comes with a bill and I pay him. He says thanks and he smiles and then we see again after two weeks or so for the next payment. Except once there was this girl at the door. I thought she was collecting money for some charity but she was there working for my Milkman, can you imagine! I could hardly speak, I was so.. so disappointed. I did not want any girl, I wanted my Milkman and his smile. 

Despite the girl I baked this cake for all hardworking Milkmen. (Because of the girl I ate the cake myself.)

Milk Chocolate Cake

100 g soft butter
100 g light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp cream
100 g self-raising flour
25 g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C / 350⁰F.
2. Grease and flour a  Ø 20 cm cake pan.
3. Put all ingredients in a bowl and beat well together.
4.  Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes and let cool.

Frosting
75 g butter
100 g milk chocolate
30 ml cream
250 g icing sugar

2 packs milk chocolate fingers, I used Cadbury's

1. Melt the butter and chocolate with the milk in a bowl.
2. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into the bowl with the chocolate mixture and beat well. 
3. Cut the cake into two layers.
4. Sandwich the layers together with one third of the frosting and then cover the cake with the rest. 
5. Place the milk chocolate fingers on the sides of the cake.
6. Decorate the cake with melted chocolate using a piping pen if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment